The Night of the Hyena | Austin Stevens Adventures | E03 | Free Documentary Nature
Austin explores the rugged landscapes of Ethiopia in search of a close-up encounter with the notoriously deadly spotted hyena. His first stop is the walled city of Harer where, for centuries, the locals have lived side by side with hyenas. A fragile truce founded on an ancient ritual. To satisfy the hyena’s hunger and protect themselves, the villagers must feed the animals by hand. With his appetite whetted, Austin sets out to find a pack of truly wild hyenas. He navigates the inhospitable wilderness of the Rift Valley to meet a remote tribe of Afar people. Using their local knowledge he tracks down an active hyena den and attempts to lure the hyenas outside in broad daylight. When that doesn’t work, Austin has to muster the courage to rig his camera and head into the den himself -
Also in this episode… Austin witnesses a brawling band of baboons, encounters a venomous puff adder, and wrestles a small but ferocious sand boa.
Did you know…?
• Spotted hyenas are the second largest predators in Africa.
• They travel as a pack and have no natural predators.
• With the most powerful jaws in the animal kingdom for their body size, they can consume every part of a carcass, including bones and teeth.
• Hyenas often start feasting before their prey has taken its last breath; literally eating it alive
• Hyena females are dominant and more aggressive, and are known to bring down lions, water buffalo… And even humans.
Subscribe Free Documentary - Nature Channel for free: http://bit.ly/2mFDC3Q
#FreeDocumentaryNature #Documentary #AustinStevens
Free Documentary is dedicated to bring high-class documentaries to you on youtube for free. With the latest camera equipment used by well-known filmmakers working for famous production studios. You will see fascinating shots from the deep seas and up in the air, capturing great stories and pictures from everything our beautiful and interesting planet has to offer.
Enjoy stories about nature, wildlife, culture, people, history and more to come.